What do you eat for fast energy ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

whats best for fast energy
Jelly babies and harribo
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Energy Gel sachets
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

Dazzzzbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevJ wrote:
Complex carbs prior to a big ride and I have found that cous cous works beat for me as a pre tide meal.

Out on the trail, I generally don't eat unless out for 30 miles plus then I need energy food to keep me going.

Bananas are good for this but so is peanuts. They have a high fat content (twice that of any carbohydrate per g) so as long as you are exercising aerobically, then your body will convert the far to useable energy far more efficiently that carbs.

Aslo, I don't agree with sugar based 'energy' drinks / gels. Yes, you get a sugar spike and will feel better momentarily, but it wears off too quickly needing more sugar to keep you going.Interesting what does
exercising aerobically mean ?

daz
I've also heard good stories about milkshakes if you bonk but have never tried this so can't comment from experience.

EDIT, a few beers the night before doesn't go amiss Wink
Interesting what does

Last edited by Dazzzzbo on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porridge then torq energy bars or homemade flapjacks, dried fruit and nunn energy tablets for the water bottle. Longer rides include a snickers bar too
KevJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazzzzbo wrote:
KevJ wrote:
Complex carbs prior to a big ride and I have found that cous cous works beat for me as a pre tide meal.

Out on the trail, I generally don't eat unless out for 30 miles plus then I need energy food to keep me going.

Bananas are good for this but so is peanuts. They have a high fat content (twice that of any carbohydrate per g) so as long as you are exercising aerobically, then your body will convert the far to useable energy far more efficiently that carbs.

Aslo, I don't agree with sugar based 'energy' drinks / gels. Yes, you get a sugar spike and will feel better momentarily, but it wears off too quickly needing more sugar to keep you going.Interesting what does

daz
I've also heard good stories about milkshakes if you bonk but have never tried this so can't comment from experience.

Interesting what does

In basic terms, it's the difference between sprinting and jogging. When you sprint, your muscles will burn energy without or very little oxygen. This is why you get a burn when climbing hard or sprinting. Aerobically means that your muscles use oxygen when converting energy to power. IIRC, the threshold is 180 beats per min (heart rate) less your age.

So unless you are gunning it uphill or downhill, chances are you are working aerobically.
Dazzzzbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevJ wrote:
Dazzzzbo wrote:
KevJ wrote:

daz

Interesting what does

In basic terms, it's the difference between sprinting and jogging. When you sprint, your muscles will burn energy without or very little oxygen. This is why you get a burn when climbing hard or sprinting. Aerobically means that your muscles use oxygen when converting energy to power. IIRC, the threshold is 180 beats per min (heart rate) less your age.

So unless you are gunning it uphill or downhill, chances are you are working aerobically.
Cheers mate that explains a lot for me. My max HR is 181 and I average around 133 whilst on the bike steady away.
Cheers mate
daz

Steve Kish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cereal for brekky, porridge in winter and muesli / Weetabix in summer.

Sainsbury's Basic cereal bars (6 for about 96p) for mid-ride munchies.

... and for emergencies, Kendal's Mint Cake.

philsmin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kish wrote:

... and for emergencies, Kendal's Mint Cake.

mmm kendal mint cake, there's no way that would last past the first 15 minutes of the ride Very Happy
skeets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use to buy all those gels, energy bars, sis in my water etc, but realised its all a waste of money.
now i take, water, homemade flapjacks and jelly babies or tangtastics or jelly worms !! and the best thing i found for long rides when i have a lunch stop. a soreen loaf (banana or 5 fruit ) Very Happy
MR-mccaff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soreen,and take a bottle of honey as well.
Philg1984

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapjack, Soreen and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Cannondale Supersix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: