What gear to start out with? totally new to biking btw!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironclad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: What gear to start out with? totally new to biking btw! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im going to be getting an ICE Trike Adventure soon and was wondering if anyone could help me choose some gear. As an ex runner, I know all gear can be considered a personal choice and what might work for some, may not work for others. I do however, believe that I can gleen some vital knowledge via the cycling community to elevate silly pitfalls in my choices of gear.

Im thinking that im going to be in the minority here, as ill be getting a trike instead of a normal 2 wheel bike. I wish I could ride a 2 wheeler though, but unfortunately, due to health issues (buggered back) im unable to get on a bike and feel confident at balancing.

Here is the recumbant trike ill hopefully be getting shortly:
http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-trikes/adventure#

The last time I really cycled was as a kid. I used to have a BMX which caused lots of bruises on my shins, due to pedals spinning around after slipping off them. Now the world has evolved a lkttle more, things have got a lot more technical and I find myself pondering over all these fandangled shoes with cleets on them and pedals of really silly shapes etc.
My riding position will be a laid back k e with my feet out in front of me, so im guessing that some shoes may not be developed for air to travel through them at that particular angle. Whould it then be best to just try some on and pick whatever is most comfy? Any special makes that shine above others? As an ex Army PTI, I would suggsst to people that a good pair of Asics running shoes would be good for people starting running and avoid makes like Nike as they are more designed for show than go etc etc. Is there that sort of brand within the cycling world? You know, expensive but offers little more than a glossy product for example?

The items I am after are:
Multiple sets of lights for all round visability/illumination
Shoes
Pedals
Helmet
Locks
Tools/cleaning gear etc
Trailer
Panniers/luggage
Tent (although I like I can get that sorted, but any ideas are very welcome!)

Thanks for taking your time, if you've gotten this far, haha! I would be very grateful for any unbiased advice/ideas any of you would happen to share.

Mick Smile

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Iantson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is nothing wrong with which ever way anyone gets into cycling whether it's Road or MTB. You have just about covered the things you would need the only thing I would add is spare tubes, puncture repair kit, pump and some basic tools like a multi-tool.

Your right kit is 100% personal preference you will get conflicting views on everything on here not to say any are wrong but they are the personal views of the individual user.

Personally I would use shoes and cleats for what you going to ride as unclipping in a split second before you fall over without getting your feet down is not an issues. I personally find peddling with shoes and cleats gives me more efficient peddling being able to pull up with the back foot helps on the climbs.

Good luck

G̶T̶ ̶A̶g̶g̶r̶e̶s̶s̶o̶r̶ ̶X̶C̶2̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶9̶, V̶o̶o̶D̶o̶o̶ ̶B̶i̶z̶a̶n̶g̶o̶ ̶2̶9̶e̶r̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶4̶., K̶o̶n̶a̶ ̶K̶a̶h̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶D̶L̶ ̶2̶9̶e̶r̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶2̶.̶
Sarasen Mantra 26er 2009. Trek Fuel EX 8 29er 2014. Trek X-Caliber 29er 2014.
Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iantson wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is nothing wrong with which ever way anyone gets into cycling whether it's Road or MTB. You have just about covered the things you would need the only thing I would add is spare tubes, puncture repair kit, pump and some basic tools like a multi-tool.

Your right kit is 100% personal preference you will get conflicting views on everything on here not to say any are wrong but they are the personal views of the individual user.

Personally I would use shoes and cleats for what you going to ride as unclipping in a split second before you fall over without getting your feet down is not an issues. I personally find peddling with shoes and cleats gives me more efficient peddling being able to pull up with the back foot helps on the climbs.

Good luck

Totally agree with Ianston.

as you are in Notts get yourself up to decathlon (next to Ikea) and have a butchers at the clothing there. the partners in store are usually well cued up and will give you loads of free advice plus it wont brake the bank.

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Ironclad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Went to Evans cycles yesterday to research shoes and pedals. Seems like SPD is the way forward, as the pedals are a lot smaller than the others, which is useful in case someone tries to steal my trike, hehe. Some stuff is very expensive, so a visit to Decathlon may be on the cards later I think, especailly as ill be needing other stuff like a tent etc too, but dont want to skimp on that, as quality is vital in this area. Clothing should be the main thing at Decathlon tbh, as ive seen that the prices are very reasonable. Smile

Thanks again!

Mick
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Aldi tomorrow and have a look at some of the gear they have on offer. Wink
Ironclad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gunner!
Just picked up about 7 pairs of socks and a load of Muck off clraning products. Also picked up a motorbike balaclava and some gloves. Very successful visit I think! Very Happy
Didnt pick up the Garmin Edge 200 though as they can be sourced quite cheap from everywhere else and thought I would chevk out other products before deciding on which to get. Smile

Thanks again.

Mick
Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've found already clipping in is the way to go, stick with shimano for the pedals themselves as they last for years.

As for kit I try to stick with Pearl Izumi for the main bits, expensive but really nicely made and durable. I'v had a pair of their mtb shoes for about 8 years and got a pair of the road shoes 2 years ago when i bought a roadie, both mega comfy and show no signs of giving up. Get a good softshell jacket too, you will find that it becomes one of the main items of riding clothing, again i could recommend pearl izumi.
martini henrie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mukka, have to catch up soon. Have a look in Aldi, they have biking gear in again Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Biking Gear All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: