What's your gym routine?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xgsjx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: What's your gym routine? Reply with quote

I've recently joined a local gym. At the induction, I told the chap what I want to achieve & he's given me a list of things, but to do it all would be about 3 hours!
So just now I'm doing Squats, barbell curls, a few different legpress machines & some stretchy exercises like planks & crunches.

I also go to a spinning class 2-3 times a week.

What's your workout? I want to make mine better. Very Happy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we'd need to know what you want to achieve............... Question Question Question
xgsjx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that would help.

I'm wanting stronger legs & more stamina. I'd like to be able to cycle up any hill that my bike can climb.
So I'm thinking it's mostly legs & core strength & a little bit for the upper body.
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To achieve your goal, I'm afraid I'd recommend something quite different to build leg strength and improve stamina.

I'd suggest using a jogging machine/ treadmill and setting it to a gradient of 1% and following the routine below, extending the workout time to 30 minutes as you become more competent. Remember the Intensity will stay the same but your speed at each intensity level should increase over time.

Keep up the spinning classes, but ask yourself if you are trying hard enough???

Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

cardio-chart.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.54 KB
 Viewed:  7882 Time(s)

cardio-chart.jpg

xgsjx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
To achieve your goal, I'm afraid I'd recommend something quite different to build leg strength and improve stamina.

I'd suggest using a jogging machine/ treadmill and setting it to a gradient of 1% and following the routine below, extending the workout time to 30 minutes as you become more competent. Remember the Intensity will stay the same but your speed at each intensity level should increase over time.

Keep up the spinning classes, but ask yourself if you are trying hard enough???

Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Cheers Very Happy
I'll be giving that a try on my next gym sesh.

Have you seen a contraption called the Vario Excite? It's kinda like jogging on a trampoline. Thinking about using it as the jogging machine.
Tall_bloke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hill near me that is a killer, or used to be. It's about 300 m long and bloody steep. The first few times up it I had to walk, then I had to zigzag and now I just blast straight up it beating my time each time I do it.
My routine is simple.
1. 20 km on a watt bike( fan set to 7 and magnet set to 4). Always trying to beat 30 mins. Sounds easy, but it ain't. Keep the RPM to 75-80 and adjust the magnet setting to work the legs harder during the middle phase.
2. Sitting on a Swiss ball reps of 30 sit-ups in 1 minute. 1 second down and 1 second up. 2 sets.
3. Leg press machine. Weight set to 80% body weight. 10 with feet high, 10 with feet low and 10 with feet in middle but heels in and toes out(something like Charlie Chaplin walk). The different foot positions works different muscles.

But don't forget to warm up and down properly. Warm up should be at least 10 mins.
The best thing though has to be riding up the hill you want to beat. Try to better your time each time you go up it and before you know it it'll be easy.

On the road to nowhere and picking up speed.
MPX309

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, good on you for joining the gym. Well done. I will try to tell you what I've learnt from going to the gym. It may be a long post and also the main thing to remember is that what I've been doing was to suit my goals so it may or may not work for you, but you can read it and take it on board all the same.

- - - - - - - - - -
The first thing I will say is, and I regret I didn't do this sooner, is get your nutrition in place as soon as possible. I have only got it in place in the last 2 months or so (been going for around 6) and that's when the gains started to really take shape.
Typically I'll eat oats (45 grams) and a spoon full of Peanut butter plus a protein shake for breakfast/ Or it might be some form of egg.

Before Gym (approx 30 mins) I'll just eat rice cake, with peanut butter, a banana and a pre work out shake

Post gym, will be a variation (usually 3 out of this lot) between spinach, Carrots, Brockey, Sweet Potato, Asparagus, Egg, Lean meat(Usually chicken or Beef), whole grain rice and also a protein shake. Again the potatoes and rice I weigh, not so much the veg or the meat. (I may have left some food out but it's a good starting point)

For tea some sort of Omelette consisting of either salsa, cottage cheese, mushrooms and tomatoes etc.

- - - - - - - - - -

The good thing is, you've already got a goal, but yes, you're quite right, 3 hours in a gym is far too long. I typically don't stay in there any longer than around 1 hour and maybe 10 or 20 inc. warm up and cooldown.

If I tell you what my goals were (they're very different to yours, but pending on your body weight it also might help)
I was around 180lbs when I started and I'm now 155lbs. My target goal was 165 lbs, and I'm still eating all the foods I listed earlier without struggling for hunger or anything like that. (Hence why I'm saying nutrition is such an important part of this)
But what I'm trying to say is, my reduced weight and lower bodyfat has, made it easier for me on the bike over distance. I didn't really realise I was "that much" over weight until I lost it, 20lbs is like 3/4ths of a full sus bike. Imagine carting that around with you?

With all due respect to Gunner, I do disagree with him slightly, he's right in the sense that those exercises are related to building strength, but I do believe compound exercises especially can really help build your core and legs for riding. It's the weight to rep ratio that will make the difference.

Don't concentrate on lifting heavy, or building muscle, you will still build muscle regardless (again especially if your nutrition is on point), and for the love of God don't take up cross fit. LOL.
Okey I'll just go into my routine and maybe outline what could help with your goals. But first of all I did machine and cable weights for a good 15 weeks before doing free weights, I don't know what the deal is with your stability muscles, but I'll assume you're able to do them effectively?

I typically split my workout into 5 days in the week. (Again I don't lift that heavy, to the point of annihilating the muscle, I'm not tryna be the next Ronnie Coleman lol) which is why I'm able to go as often as I do.

- - - - - - - - - -

My reps are usually 12x3, or on the last set I'll do 15 if I feel 12 wasn't enough. Except for the clean and press I'm just doing 7x3 atm.

Every session I do starts with a 10 minute warm up on the treadmill, 2 percent gradient at 5kph.

Monday - UPPER BODY
Low Row
Bench Press/Incline and decline alternating sessions
Bicep
Tricep
Lat Pulldowns
Shoulder press

Clean and Press
Squats

10 minutes cardio (typically the bike at level 9/80-90 rpm)

Tuesdays - LOWER BODIY
Leg Curls
Rear Delt flys
Leg Extentions
Lat Pull Downs
Leg Press
Traps

(Yes I mix in some upper body stuff that I don't typically train on upper body day if the machines are busy or I have enough time)

Clean and Press
Squats

10 minutes cardio (typically the hand bike at level 9/80-90rpm)

Thursdays - FULL BODY I do abit of some stuff from both

And then Saturday I'll do upper body again. (Ofcourse if you were concentrating on legs more lower body would be perhaps a better option)

- - - - - - - - - -

Now I should explain that when I first started going my workout was fairly different, I'd do 10 minutes on the treadmill as usual, then 6 minutes on the step mill, 10 minutes on the hand bike, and then 10 minutes on the bike. . . and then hit weights, but as I increased the intensity over the weeks by the time I'd finished on the bike I'd burnt through so much of my glycogen that I think I was then burning my muscle cells during the weights, so I switch the cardio to after weights. Some say it helps you keep burning fat after the gym. Weather or not that's true I don't know but it helps me.
One thing to note is once I get my form more developed on my compound exercises I may do them before the isolation exercises as they're more important (to me)

Now again, it's taken me some trial and error to find a program that works for me, and in 6 weeks time I may be trying something new. . . but this is typically currently what I'm using. I'm trying to get to around 15 percent bodyfat, I was 18 last time I checked, and I'm probably abit lower than that now. . .
The other thing I'd say is, really, the best way to achieve your goal is to simply ride your bike. I do not for a second associate exercise bikes with actual mountain biking.
It's good for warming up, it's good for a quick sprint or interval session. But Anything longer than 30 minutes on on, I tell myself I may aswell be riding my bike (You'd benefit more from HIIT). I could do all the spin classes in the world and it would not prepare me for a day up Afan forrest if I've never ridden a mountain bike before.

So my final tip is, Use the gym, but use it as an accessory to mountain biking, go light in the gym. You don't want to lift heavy (that leads to injury) Don't lift so light your muscles don't burn. Look at videos on youtube about form and how to control the negative. . . (I'll name some channels at the end that I've found helpful)

Maybe just go to the gym 3 times a week. Take 2 days to recover between sessions, go and hit those compound movements for 20, minutes, then jump on the bike and do what Gunner said with his routine, then get out there. attend the spin class one day a week. . . but most of all ride your bike.

Youtube channels I frequently visit

ScottHermanFitness
ATHLEAN-X
Mike Thurston
HodgeTwins (yes they're kinda silly, but they give good advice)

Good luckman (Sorry for the novel)

Last edited by MPX309 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great information in this thread Smile

MPX309 is right on point, knows his stuff.
As said, nutrition is very important. In fact, most personal trainers and experienced fitness fanatics would agree that diet is about 80% with exercise about 20%.
Think about what you are actually trying to achieve though, not everyone needs a super high protein intake and constant chicken/tuna diet. If you are trying to bulk up (muscle) then yes you need to eat a LOT, several times a day. But, if you are trying to simply lose weight and tone up, then your diet and exercise routine will be very different.
I used to lift heavy, and when I got back into biking was 15st at 5'10" and quite lean, but quickly realised it was not doing me any favours. So, changed things around and am now 13st and much more suited to riding, instead of carrying around the extra 2st of muscle which served me no use on a bike at all.
Medium/light weight with higher reps will build stamina and endurance.
I train 3 nights a week at home (got sick of my local gym's, all full of steroid numpty's), and bike every Sunday. 47 yrs old so no age limit (my friend is 79 and still trains).
Good luck with it !

MPX309

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nik Smile

This video from GMBN might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413R7_tR8Kk

xgsjx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of good & valuable information.
I'm gonna watch some of those YT channels that you've suggested.
One thing that I need to look at is my diet. I tend to eat whatever's available. Could be a nice salad, could be a pizza, or just whatever I find that'll go with chips, pasta, noodles or rice. It could do with changing.
I'm not really overweight (I'm @ 170lbs), but I'd say my 6 pack is more of a keg.
My Mrs said I can't outrun a bad diet.

I'm really glad the advice is not to go for as heavy a weight as possible. I was watching a bunch of guys at the gym lifting @ 200kg on the bar whilst I was killing myself doing 20kg on arm curls.

Because of my work, I've had a couple of weeks away from the gym, but went back the past couple of nights to spin classes & going to a body pump class tonight to see what it's like.
Next week I'll look at trying something similar to MPX309's routine & then customise it to suit me.

Much obliged Very Happy
MPX309

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but wait, which routine? I wouldn't copy or adjust to that (the one where I listed the days). It might not even be right for me. I'm probably switching it out after Christmas. The only thing I know about it is I'm still making gains and measured my bodyfat today and its around 16. something.

If I wereeeee youuu. . . I'd focus on keeping it simple.

Ok, 10-15 minute warm up, it can be the bike or tread mill. . . (Somewhere around level 4, 75-80rpm)

Front Squads (where you hold the barbell under your chin)
3 sets of 5/6 reps

rest for 1/2 minutes between each

Rear Squats /
3 sets of 5/6 reps

Bench Press / or dumbbell shoulder press
3x7 or if dumbell somewhere between 10/12

Bent over rows
3 sets of 5/6 reps

Leg Press (Around 12-15 reps) I'm currently doing this on 90kg, but started at 70

Also some sort of chin up or dips would be good to add down the line or switch things up, but again look at videos on how to do dips as it's easy to damage your rotator cuff if done incorrectly.

You could switch one of the squads out for a deadlift or press and clean if you want? Front squats will be more beneficial for your core

I cannot stress enough how important it is to get your form right on these so when I say don't go heavy, I really mean for the first I don't know. . (However many weeks it takes you) use no more than x5 kg plates on each end. Ofcourse as you get more comfortable you can progressively overload overtime. I hurt my shoulder doing the press and clean the other week because my form still needs work, the only thing that saved me from actually probably injuring myself to the point of needing to take a wweek or 2 out was the fact the weight was so light.

Then go do some interval training on the bike. . . . (Somethng like Gunner suggested)

Urm, I would say depending on how you feel about the gym after around 2 months or so if you feel isolation exercises would benefit your routine more you can add some in. . .

As for nutrition, yeah it can be tricky. Don't need to go as mad as me, or as heigh protein by any means as Nik said, but just be aware of that fact that what you put in (your mouth) also translates to what you get out (of your body at the gym)

And yeah, one of the worst things you can do is see what other people are lifting and try to think that's the norm. Just have your own targets. You are your own best personal trainer. But remember to train smart, not hard. (Well do train hard but you know what I'm saying lol)

Smile

Last edited by MPX309 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPX309 wrote:

And yeah, one of the worst things you can do is see what other people are lifting and try to think that's the norm. Just have your own targets.

Smile

Sound advice, take great notice of this. Wink

MPX309

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
MPX309 wrote:

And yeah, one of the worst things you can do is see what other people are lifting and try to think that's the norm. Just have your own targets.

Smile

Sound advice, take great notice of this. Wink

Thanks matey. I feel maybe I should elaborate more to explain (for xgsjx). . . ?

There's 3 main factors as to why. Firstly we don't know how long he's been lifting for. He could have been lifting for 3 years and started much lower and progressed to this

Secondly he could be steroids (Not much else is needed to explain why)

And thirdly, we don't even know if this weight is right for him either. He could be using a weight that's too high for him but his gym buddy and ego are getting the better of him. He might be on a one way ticket to snap city for all we know? hehe

Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct WEIGHT for yourself, is tricky to get right.

The steroid monkeys at my local lift stupid heavy weights, and their form goes to sh*t .. meaning they do not really benefit from all that weight, and usually end up with constant injuries.
If you watch a top pro bodybuilder train, like Rich Piana, he laughs at others in his gym, and says "I don't lift half that weight they do, and yet I'm twice the size" ... his theory is he isn't a weightlifter so the amount doesn't matter.
What does matter is that you lift enough weight to wear your muscle out, and make the muscle tissue tear, thus when it repairs itself it over-compensates and repairs stronger than it originally was before.
I'd suggest looking at compound movements, with a balance of push & pull movements. Lift as much as it takes for you to be able to make 15-20 reps at each set. If it's too easy add a bit more, until 15/16 is a struggle to do.
But most important is to do the movement properly with strict form, it will 'work' the muscle properly and you hopefully should not get injuries.
Arching your back etc for example when doing bench press, brings the wrong muscles into play than the ones you are trying to actually train, and can result in injury, so it's much better to strictly control your movement even if it means doing less weight.

MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right about Rich Piana, He has a pretty interesting channel. He's not afraid to address topics that a lot of pro bodylifters want to sweep under the rug.

You can get all sorts of advice from all sorts of channels. One of the ones I got from his was when he was doing triceps pushdowns with the mountain.
And he said something along the lines of "If you can feel it in your core then the weights too heavy"

And that's absolutely true. . . I had up until that point being lifting too heavy on that exercise, n I could feel it in other parts of my body.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: