would you ride with no helmet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I would ride with no helmet
yes
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
no
76%
 76%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 99

marcbrown46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGMat wrote:
Interesting read this Very Happy

Now, i ride a ZX9R. I wear a helmet all the time on that because it is the law, but, i would always wear one on my motorbike as i am usually at naughty speeds and i WILL die if i come off. Had a fairly big accident last year and knocked myself out, lid was trashed but my head was unscathed.

I never wore a lid as a kid, be it riding my BMX, Riding my MTB or thrashing around in the streets/skateparks on my skateboard. I never had, or saw, a bad enough accident to make me think i needed one.

I don't own one now. I may buy one if i start really getting into it, for riding through trees and wooded areas, as i can see the potential danger in those situations. As for riding on the road with one, i doubt that will ever happen on a pushbike for me. If i have an accident on the road, what help is a thin peice of polystyrene when your being thrown through the air after being punted off by a car/van/coach/lorry????????

I also ride a motorbike and always wear full protection I even wear my back protector even if I am going to the shops down the road, believe me you need one just as much on a mtb as you do a bike !!!

I had an off recenlty at Gisburn maybe doing about 20mph went over the front landed hard and thought okay that wasn't too bad then bang my bike followed me and cracked me on the back of my head, the impact nearly knocked me out and it turns out it was my rotor which hit me on the head and bent it out of shape, I'm sorry but without a helmet the outcome would have been very different !!

Don't underestimate how much protection that little bit of polysteyrene gives you !

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-am-build-new-parts-t41951.html

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Rosebud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binz wrote:
I've got long hair too, but it doesn't give much protection in a fall.

never used to wear lid until coupel of years ago. Tried some on in shops and many felt odd (i was tight and looked at cheap ones; they were too heavy and didn't adjust to my head properly), but a decent lid is pretty light, has plenty of ventilation and if it fits properly doesnt move about.

Lid every time for me now. I did once drive 20 miles to trails, realise I'd forgot lid, drove home pissed off, got lid and just went for ride local.

You have never met my 'Afro' Wink
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeets wrote:
okay for all you doubters. i can see this reason bieng quite popular !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10257278/Ser iously-injured-cyclist-16-did-not-wear-helmet-because-he-did-not-want- to-mess-up-his-hair.html

Crying or Very sad

I'm not out to offend anyone, and wish the lad all the best, but ... its a great story and advertisement for helmets, and here begins the slippery slope of freedom.

I'm not saying if its right or wrong to wear a helmet... However, IF it does go to parliament AND its passed as law that cycle helmets are made compulsory it will be another unenforcible law that this country has. Much the same as the using a mobile while driving, and speeding. It would be another law that many people would knowingly break because they 'are only popping to the shops' or other short journey.

Years ago (in my hazy days of youth) I used to ride a motorcycle and because helmets are compulsory I also used to use an open face helmet. At 40mph these are worse than useless as they stop very little hitting you rather hard in the face.....I almost lost an eye and my bike one night when I got smacked by the biggest f'kin moth you could ever meet .. but it was still a helmet and therefore I was riding within the requirements of the law, the only thing it was good for was keeping my ears warm.

Now, given that modern cycles are capable of reaching road speeds of 20mph+ how many more people can you envisage wearing those skull cap things that leave a majority of your face exposed, I personally think it would give people a false sense of security and could encourage more irresponsible cycling from some groups? You could quite probably lose an ear, an eye, or your teeth, but as long as they are wearing a helmet (or a poor excuse for one) they are riding in accordance with the law. 'And where would this law stop? Would it be made compulsory to wear one riding around a park? in your garden? along a canal? in the middle of nowhere??..... where exactly??? How far could this law encroach into your life?

Furthermore once this law was passed (hypothetically) how long would it be before 'road tax' and insurance became compulsory?? We all know this and previous governments desire for 'back door' policies ..... especially those that raise money or make them look like a caring government.

Kiss my ass
I'm done here, someone delete my account.
Binz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have never met my 'Afro' " Smile
Ness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've all established that it's a must if you're MTBing.

As for road cycling.....

You're more likely to trip over a curb or a loose paving slab. Should we all start wearing lids to walk down the road?
It makes sense.

It would certainly give more protection if you did fall over. Might also offer some protection if you got hit by a car.
Maybe full body and head armour should be worn every time you step out of the front door. Just in case.

Think I might just stay indoors in a bubble for the rest of my life just in case I hit my head.

People are too soft and nannied these days.
If you don't want to risk injury, don't do it. Whatever it is.
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ness wrote:
I think we've all established that it's a must if you're MTBing.

As for road cycling.....

You're more likely to trip over a curb or a loose paving slab. Should we all start wearing lids to walk down the road?
It makes sense.

It would certainly give more protection if you did fall over. Might also offer some protection if you got hit by a car.
Maybe full body and head armour should be worn every time you step out of the front door. Just in case.

Think I might just stay indoors in a bubble for the rest of my life just in case I hit my head.

People are too soft and nannied these days.
If you don't want to risk injury, don't do it. Whatever it is.

Dont even go there, if I find you mentioned to your local MP about wearing body armour to go the the corner shop I'm gonna come and haunt you..........

Kiss my ass
richie_the_lad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trespasser wrote:
skeets wrote:
okay for all you doubters. i can see this reason bieng quite popular !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10257278/Ser iously-injured-cyclist-16-did-not-wear-helmet-because-he-did-not-want- to-mess-up-his-hair.html

Crying or Very sad

I'm not out to offend anyone, and wish the lad all the best, but ... its a great story and advertisement for helmets, and here begins the slippery slope of freedom.

I'm not saying if its right or wrong to wear a helmet... However, IF it does go to parliament AND its passed as law that cycle helmets are made compulsory it will be another unenforcible law that this country has. Much the same as the using a mobile while driving, and speeding. It would be another law that many people would knowingly break because they 'are only popping to the shops' or other short journey.

Years ago (in my hazy days of youth) I used to ride a motorcycle and because helmets are compulsory I also used to use an open face helmet. At 40mph these are worse than useless as they stop very little hitting you rather hard in the face.....I almost lost an eye and my bike one night when I got smacked by the biggest f'kin moth you could ever meet .. but it was still a helmet and therefore I was riding within the requirements of the law, the only thing it was good for was keeping my ears warm.

Now, given that modern cycles are capable of reaching road speeds of 20mph+ how many more people can you envisage wearing those skull cap things that leave a majority of your face exposed, I personally think it would give people a false sense of security and could encourage more irresponsible cycling from some groups? You could quite probably lose an ear, an eye, or your teeth, but as long as they are wearing a helmet (or a poor excuse for one) they are riding in accordance with the law. 'And where would this law stop? Would it be made compulsory to wear one riding around a park? in your garden? along a canal? in the middle of nowhere??..... where exactly??? How far could this law encroach into your life?

Furthermore once this law was passed (hypothetically) how long would it be before 'road tax' and insurance became compulsory?? We all know this and previous governments desire for 'back door' policies ..... especially those that raise money or make them look like a caring government.

f*ck me that was an essay and a half lol

I agree with what you're saying about the open face tho

a mate of mine had a silly off and ended up smashing his face up so badly.

Fluid from his eye socket was leaking into his skull and all sorts of sh*t

helmet did f*ck all to help him

Custom 2012 Transition TR450

Custom 2013 Transition Covert

Cannondale 2011 Trail SL2 29er

Previous bikes:

Felt Compulsion Ltd Edition (gone but not forgotten)

Mondraker Summum (AIDS on wheels)
skeets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree on that side. i dont want it to become law. im not one for rules and all of that. to many rules aint a good thing imo. ( though it wouldnt bother me if it did or didnt) but common sense should come in to it with the individual. if someone chooses they dont want to wear a helmet, then thats fine, its there choice, but like i said on a previous post, i wont be stopping to pick your brains up as thats my choice not to do that.

but this is where it differs on road and off road. Off road its mainly down to the individual, usually doesnt involve anyone else or thing when you come off. Where on road, there are usually drivers, cars etc involved also . i wouldnt like to knock someone off there bike and find out they died and they wernt wearing a helmet, id be thinking if they did, would they have survived ! its not just the rider it affects
so on that prespective i could see a law bieng introduced for road cycling.

Quote:

when it gets more bikes than cars, then i reckon it could happen. but the way this f***ed up country is, who knows.
Wink
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Richie, that has to be the nicest thing you said to me so far..... your obviously slipping... lololol Wink

But yeh, long winded I know. My point was exactly that though, I can foresee more people having cycle injuries because they have been 'forced' to get a helmet against their wishes and they are going to buy the cheapest, nastiest, smallest POS they can find just to cover the basics of the law.

If the government don't handle this right they could end up killing more people than they meant to save. I think the helmet issue would be better left to personal choice or having cycle organisations try and handle the PR for wearing them.

Maybe in a few more years as more people have bad experiences with these stupid skull cap thingies or no helmets at all, we will see helmets becoming commonplace..... you know how people can be more like sheep and seem to follow the masses..

Reading this original post I now appreciate (more than I did) the importance of a helmet, mainly for trails tbh and I'm going to make the effort to purchase a fullface one. When I do ride footpaths I try to do it with some consideration rather than just bombing along so personally urban use of a helmet would be rare.

Kiss my ass
Amateur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a helmet because once I crashed at Hamsterly 4x and did this to my face.

I was wearing a piss pot lid at the time and I wouldnt really say it was a high speed crash. Anyone who doesnt wear a helmet to ride a bicycle off road it an idiot, probably by virtue of smashing their head into the ground from not wearing a lid

Amateur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, in doing the above the surgeon basically said if I wasnt wearing a lid I probably would have permanently damaged my brain. The piss pot in question basically split in two with the impact. I still had short term damage (one pupil bigger than the other) for a few months and had to have my eye socket sown back together. This isnt some hearsay wives tale it happened to me, Robmet on here had to watch the whole saga un fold and pack me off to hospital.

Please forgive me if you think calling people a fool is un duly harsh but, in view of the above, I think I am pretty well placed to make that judgement
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur wrote:
Oh yea, in doing the above the surgeon basically said if I wasnt wearing a lid I probably would have permanently damaged my brain. The piss pot in question basically split in two with the impact. I still had short term damage (one pupil bigger than the other) for a few months and had to have my eye socket sown back together. This isnt some hearsay wives tale it happened to me, Robmet on here had to watch the whole saga un fold and pack me off to hospital.

Please forgive me if you think calling people a fool is un duly harsh but, in view of the above, I think I am pretty well placed to make that judgement

Your picture is brilliant from a PR perspective and you are more placed than anyone to verify helmet use. What helmet was it?

Kiss my ass

Last edited by Trespasser on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeets wrote:
i agree on that side. i dont want it to become law. im not one for rules and all of that. to many rules aint a good thing imo. ( though it wouldnt bother me if it did or didnt) but common sense should come in to it with the individual. if someone chooses they dont want to wear a helmet, then thats fine, its there choice, but like i said on a previous post, i wont be stopping to pick your brains up as thats my choice not to do that.

but this is where it differs on road and off road. Off road its mainly down to the individual, usually doesnt involve anyone else or thing when you come off. Where on road, there are usually drivers, cars etc involved also . i wouldnt like to knock someone off there bike and find out they died and they wernt wearing a helmet, id be thinking if they did, would they have survived ! its not just the rider it affects
so on that prespective i could see a law bieng introduced for road cycling.

Quote:

when it gets more bikes than cars, then i reckon it could happen. but the way this f***ed up country is, who knows.
Wink

And that my friend could be the biggest mistake they make. I suspect that once cyclists are taxed they would finally be heard on the same par as the car driver. Woe betide any car driver that hits a 'taxed' cyclist and drives off without reporting the accident.

Kiss my ass
Amateur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trespasser wrote:
Amateur wrote:

Your picture is brilliant from a PR perspective. I appreciate your views to wearing a helmet, which one was it?? one of those cap things??

Nah it was a skate lid, typical what you see kids wearing in a park. I don’t want to sound like a martyr either, my views on wearing a lid for road riding is slightly different. I still personally wear one but I don’t have a beef with people who don’t. If you get mowed down on a bike whilst riding on the road you probably got hit by a car/bus and are screwed via numerous other ways. Interestingly several high profile road cyclists like Chris Boardman take this view, he is pretty enraged by the PR helmet wearing gets at the expense of promoting more worthwhile causes such as driver awareness etc.

It breaks down quite simply for me though.

If you ride off road I think its stupid not to wear a lid, most crashes on a mountain bike tend to involve you going over the front or hitting a stationary object. I think you are probably more likely to hit your head and, from personal experience, I certainly have smacked head first into the ground on numerous occasions

Riding on the road is different because more variables come into play outside your control. Wearing a lid probably wouldn’t save you if a bus runs over your torso for example. I still do because I want to give my self a fighting chance if I do come off, however I don’t (personally) see as obvious a connection between the two.

Its funny, despite the obvious dangers mountain biking comes attached with I still find it way less risky that riding my road bike
Trespasser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest Amateur, what lid do you wear now?

Kiss my ass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: